"Try this speedy fruit dessert once and you'll rave about its taste and convenience," promises Sharon Keys from Spencerport, New York. The cinnamony flavor of the leftover bread complements the tart, tender rhubarb quite nicely.
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 5 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed
- 3/4 to 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 cups cubed cinnamon bread
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Vanilla ice cream or whipped cream, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the rhubarb, sugar and cinnamon. Add half of
- the bread cubes; toss gently. Transfer to an ungreased 2-qt.
- microwave-safe dish. Top with remaining bread cubes; drizzle with
- Microwave, uncovered, on high for 7-9 minutes or until rhubarb is
- tender. Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream if desired.
- Yield: 8 servings.
Editor's Note: It can also be prepared in a conventional oven. Use an ungreased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes; uncover and bake 10 minutes longer or until the rhubarb is tender.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 195 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 141 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 3 g protein.