For a different casserole from the ordinary, this Reuben-flavored hot-dish is sure to be a hit. It has all the ingredients of a Reuben sandwich, but in the form of a casserole. —The Fremont Company
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 1 cup chopped cooked corned beef
- 1 cup sauerkraut, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/4 cup Thousand Island salad dressing
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 slices rye bread, cubed and toasted
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1/4-inch rings
- In a saucepan, saute onion and apple in 2 tablespoons butter until
- tender. Stir in beef, sauerkraut and caraway seeds.
- Spoon into an ungreased 2-qt. casserole. Drizzle with salad dressing;
- sprinkle with cheese. Toss croutons with remaining butter; sprinkle
- over cheese. Top with pimientos and pepper.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20 minutes or until heated through.
- Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving equals 462 calories, 32 g fat (16 g saturated fat), 111 mg cholesterol, 1,181 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 25 g protein.