Refried Bean Soup
“My husband and I love the flavor of this yummy soup,” Barbara Dean relates from Littleton, Colorado. “It’s very quick and easy to put together, and you can add any garnishes you like to vary the taste.”
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) refried beans
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 5 corn tortillas (6 inches), cut into 1/2-inch strips, optional
- Sour cream and shredded Monterey Jack cheese, optional
- In a large saucepan, bring the tomatoes, onion and garlic to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Stir in the refried
- beans, broth and cilantro; simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, if tortilla strips are desired, place strips on a baking
- sheet. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until crisp. Garnish
- soup with tortilla strips. Serve with sour cream and cheese if
- desired. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Nutrition Facts: 1 cup (prepared with fat-free refried beans; calculated without optional ingredients) equals 153 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 765 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 10 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 2 starch.