Refreshing Lime Sherbet
One spoonful of the cool, fresh-tasting and delicious treat and you'll never eat store-bought lime sherbet again! It's terrific following a heavy meal, on a hot summer day or anytime your taste buds are bored.
24 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Process: 20 min./batch + freezing
- 4-1/4 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups lime juice
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons grated lime peel
- 7-1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 drop green food coloring, optional
- In a bowl, combine sugar, lime juice, lemon juice and lime peel until
- well blended. Gradually stir in milk, buttermilk and food coloring
- if desired; mix well. Pour into the cylinder of an ice cream freezer
- and freeze according to manufacturer's directions. Remove from the
- freezer 10 minutes before serving. Yield: about 2-1/2 quarts.
Editor's Note: Recipe may need to be frozen in two batches.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 191 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 43 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 3 g protein.