Red Pepper Bean Medley
“It’s nice to eat light now that spring is in the air,” notes Louise Watkins in Long Key, Florida. Her bright and breezy veggie side dish features a splash of lemony flavor and also doubles as a great salad served cold.
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
- 2 large sweet red peppers, cut into thin strips
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Place green beans in a steamer basket; place in a saucepan over 1 in.
- of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 5 minutes. Add red
- peppers; cover and steam 5-6 minutes longer or until vegetables are
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Transfer beans
- and peppers to a serving bowl; add onion mixture and toss to
- combine. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 3/4 cup equals 63 calories, 4 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 152 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat.