Red Pepper 'n' Corn Skillet
This is an old recipe we used when I was growing up in Kentucky. We called it "fried corn" and made it as long as we could get corn on the cob. It's an attractive side dish and very tasty, flavored with bacon.
-Barbara Marshall, Concord, California
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 bacon strip, diced
- 3/4 cup frozen corn
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red or green pepper
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh sage or 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- In a skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until nearly crisp. Add the
- corn onion and red pepper. Cook and stir over medium heat for 5
- minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in the broth, salt and
- pepper. Cook for 5 minutes or until liquid is almost absorbed. Stir
- in the vinegar and sage. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 143 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 793 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein.