Red Cabbage with Cranberries
Sweet-and-sour cabbage complements mild meats like pork and ham. You can serve this relish warm or cold.
8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, divided
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 medium head red cabbage, shredded (10 cups)
- 1 cup dry red wine or apple juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a Dutch oven or kettle, heat oil and 1/4 cup brown sugar over
- medium heat. Add garlic; saute for 2 minutes. Stir in 2 cups
- cranberries and vinegar. Cover and cook over medium heat for 3-4
- minutes or until the berries have popped.
- Add cabbage and wine or apple juice. Cover and cook over medium heat
- for 15 minutes or until the cabbage is tender, stirring
- occasionally. Stir in the salt, cayenne and remaining cranberries
- and brown sugar. Remove from the heat. Cover and let stand for 5
- minutes or until berries are tender. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 142 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 167 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 2 g protein.