Red Cabbage with Apples
My German grandmother passed this recipe down to my mother, who gave it to me. I remember eating it as a small child. This vegetable dish can be made quickly and goes great with roast pork or barbecued ribs, potatoes and biscuits.
6-8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 medium head red cabbage (2 pounds) , shredded
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup apple cider or apple juice
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a large skillet, saute onion in butter until golden and tender.
- Add the cabbage, apples, cider, sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for about 1 hour or
- until cabbage and apples are tender and the liquid is reduced.
- Sprinkle with bacon and parsley if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 3/4 cup equals 203 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 331 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 3 g protein.