Red Cabbage with Apples
Our family has always loved red cabbage. Not only is it a perfect accompaniment to a favorite roast, it is so colorful on the plate. An added plus for the cook...it tastes even better the next day!
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 to 2-1/2 pounds medium head red cabbage, shredded
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 3 large tart apples, sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Dash pepper
- Place cabbage in a large saucepan; add boiling water. Cover and
- simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add apples; cook 10 minutes or until tender. Add remaining
- ingredients and heat through. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 170 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 856 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 1 g protein.