Red Cabbage Casserole
Since I enjoy spending time with my guests rather than alone in the kitchen, this one's a favorite dish...I've served it with ham, pork and turkey.
With its color and eye appeal, I call on it on special days like Christmas or Easter when I'm cooking for a crowd. I'd also recommend it for potlucks.
Although my husband and I were "city kids" both born in Toronto, we have been farming since
8-10 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 8 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 to 2 medium tart apples, chopped
- 1/4 cup red currant jelly
- In a Dutch oven, combine the first six ingredients. Cover and cook
- over medium heat for 10-15 minutes or until cabbage is crisp-tender,
- stirring occasionally.
- Add apples; cook 10-15 minutes longer or until cabbage and apples are
- tender. Stir in jelly until melted. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 80 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 243 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein.