Red Beans and Rice
"I'm originally from Honduras, where beans are served in different variations for breakfast, lunch and dinner," relates Carin Perkins of Waukesha, Wisconsin. "This bean and rice dish has been enjoyed by my family for generations. It's not spicy but gets nice flavor from the cilantro and cumin.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 3 cans (16 ounces each) red beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute the onion, green pepper and garlic
- in oil until tender. Add cilantro; cook and stir until wilted, about
- 1 minute. Stir in the beans, salt, cumin and pepper. Cover and
- simmer for 10-15 minutes. Serve over rice. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 3/4 cup bean mixture with 1/2 cup rice equals 345 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1,001 mg sodium, 58 g carbohydrate, 11 g fiber, 13 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat.