Red Beans and Rice Mix
Since there's food galore during the holidays themselves, I like giving this zippy mix as an after-Christmas present instead. I just slip the containers of seasoning, beans and rice into a decorative paper bag. A recipe card completes the package.
4-6 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 2-1/4 hours + standing
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups dried kidney beans
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 4-1/2 cups water, divided
- 1-1/2 to 2 pounds smoked ham hocks
- 1 pound smoked sausage, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- Combine the first 10 ingredients; place in an airtight container.
- Place beans and rice in separate containers. Yield: 1 batch.
- To prepare red beans and rice: Place beans in a Dutch oven or soup
- kettle; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2
- minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour.