Red, White and Blue Dessert
Serving the rich, fresh-tasting dessert decorated like the flag is a great salute to the nation's independence! I used a new recipe I found and made some modifications based on tricks my grandma taught me.Sue Gronholz, Beaver Dam, Wisconsin
18 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 2 quarts strawberries, halved, divided
- 2 quarts blueberries, divided
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar and extracts until fluffy.
- Fold in whipped cream. Place a third of the mixture in a 4-qt. bowl.
- Reserve 20 strawberry halves and 1/2 cup blueberries for garnish.
- Layer half of the remaining strawberries and blueberries over cream
- mixture. Top with another third of the cream mixture and the
- remaining berries. Spread the remaining cream mixture on top. Use
- the reserved strawberries and blueberries to make a "flag" on top.
- Yield: 18 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 168 calories, 10 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 32 mg cholesterol, 44 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein.