- Cover and freeze for 8 hours or overnight.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine egg whites and sugar. With a hand
- mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating over low
- heat until egg mixture reaches 160°, about 6 minutes. Transfer
- to a bowl; beat until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is
- Immediately spread meringue over ice cream, sealing to edges of pie.
- Heat with a creme brulee torch or broil 8 in. from the heat for 3-5
- minutes or until meringue is lightly browned. Serve immediately with
- remaining sauce. Yield: 8 servings (1 cup sauce).
Nutrition Facts: 1 piece with 2 tablespoons sauce equals 321 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 172 mg sodium, 56 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.