Ranch-Style Baked Lentils
The Palouse area of northern Idaho and eastern Washington is known as the "Dried Pea and Lentil Capital of the World". I serve this as a main dish, or as a side dish for picnics and barbecues. I've used the recipe for many years.
4-6 ServingsPrep: 35 min. Bake: 30 min.
- Rinse the lentils. In a heavy saucepan, bring lentils, salt and 4
- cups water to a boil. Cover and simmer 20 minutes or until the water
- is absorbed and the lentils are tender.
- Meanwhile, cook beef over medium heat in a skillet until meat is no
- longer pink. Drain excess fat. Stir in soup mix, ketchup, mustard,
- vinegar and remaining water. Gently stir in lentils. Spoon into a
- 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes.
- Yield: 4-6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 384 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 37 mg cholesterol, 1,738 mg sodium, 50 g carbohydrate, 20 g fiber, 33 g protein.