To top off many meals, Mother baked an amazing array of pies—there was something to satisfy everyone's tastes. Besides my favorite—this Raisin Pie recipe—there was one each of pumpkin, mincemeat, pecan, apple and cherry. We had scrumptious leftovers for days! —Patricia Baxter, Great Bend, Kansas
6-8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1 cup sugar
- 2-1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups cold water
- 2 cups raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- In a saucepan, stir together sugar and flour. Add water and mix well.
- Stir in raisins, salt and cinnamon; cook and stir over medium heat
- until bubbly. Cook and stir 1 minute more. Remove from heat and stir
- in butter. Pour into a pastry-lined pie plate. Top with lattice
- crust, or cover with top crust and cut slits for steam to escape.
- Bake at 375° for about 45 minutes or until crust is golden
- brown. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 467 calories, 16 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 367 mg sodium, 82 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.