- Divide batter into thirds. Stir red food coloring into one portion of
- batter; stir green food coloring into another portion. Leave
- remaining batter plain. Spread one portion into each of three
- well-greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dishes.
- Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near
- the center comes out clean and edges begin to brown. Cool for 10
- minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Place red layer on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet; spread with
- strawberry jam. Top with plain layer; spread with apricot preserves.
- Add green layer; press down gently.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until
- smooth. Spread half over green layer. Refrigerate for 20 minutes or
- until set. Turn over; spread remaining chocolate over red layer.
- Refrigerate for 20 minutes or until set.
- With a sharp knife, trim edges. Cut rectangle lengthwise into
- fourths. Cut each portion into 1/4-in. slices. Yield: 12 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 1 cookie equals 37 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 20 mg sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.