This refreshing salad combines the sweetness of raisins and jicama with super-healthy quinoa. The salad comes from Sonya Fox of Peyton, Colorado.
8 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 medium jicama, peeled and chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add quinoa. Reduce heat;
- cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- Remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, combine the quinoa, jicama, celery and raisins. In a
- small bowl, whisk the oil, lemon juice, salt and cinnamon. Pour over
- quinoa mixture and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least
- 1 hour. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 3/4 cup equals 185 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 161 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 fruit.