I created this recipe after tasting quinoa at a local restaurant. I really enjoy rice pilaf, but I don’t usually have time to make it. This quick-cooking side is a tasty alternative. –Sonya Fox of Peyton, Colorado
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- In a small nonstick saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook onion
- and carrot in oil for 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add garlic;
- cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, water and salt; bring to a
- Add quinoa. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until
- liquid is absorbed. Remove from the heat. Fluff with a fork. Yield:
- 4 servings.
Editor's Note: If using vegetable broth, omit the salt.
Nutrition Facts: 3/4 cup equals 198 calories, 4 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 434 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 8 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.