Quick Cran-Apple Sauce
Not content with plain old applesauce, Anita Aungst of McVeytown, Pennsylvania found a fun way to jazz it up - by adding cranberries! "This version is really zippy," she enthuses. "It tastes great topped with fresh whipped cream."
6-8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling Cook: 10 min.
- 1 package (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 3 cups unsweetened applesauce
- Whipped cream, optional
- Place cranberries in a saucepan; add water just to cover. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; simmer until the berries pop. Stir in the sugar
- until dissolved. add orange peel. Refrigerate for 2 hours. Place in
- a blender or food processor; process until coarsely chopped. Pour
- into a bowl; stir in applesauce. Refrigerate until serving. Garnish
- with whipped cream if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 157 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 3 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, trace protein.