Our kitchen staff came up with a winning way to use up leftover meat saucehearty calzones that taste like they're made from scratch. Frozen bread dough makes them a snap to assemble and creates a pretty and tasty crust, thanks to the Parmesan topping.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1 cup Three-Meat Sauce (recipe also in Recipe Finder)
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Divide bread dough into four portions; roll each into a 6-in. circle.
- Spoon 1/4 cup of meat sauce on half of each circle to within 1/2 in.
- of edges. Sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon of mozzarella cheese.
- Fold dough over the filling and press edges firmly to seal. Brush
- with milk. Combine Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning; sprinkle
- over the calzones.
- Place on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or
- until golden brown. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 430 calories, 12 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 26 mg cholesterol, 1,037 mg sodium, 63 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 21 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.