Quick Asparagus Soup
"My kids wouldn't eat asparagus when they were young," writes Lois McAtee. "But after trying this smooth creamy soup, they all wanted seconds." To hurry along preparation, the Oceanside, California reader relies on frozen asparagus.
4-6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen asparagus cuts
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Seasoned salad croutons
- In a saucepan, combine asparagus, onion, water, salt, bouillon, basil
- and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12
- minutes or until vegetables are tender. Cool for 5 minutes; stir in
- In a blender or food processor, process the soup in batches until
- smooth; return to the pan. Stir in cream; heat through. Garnish with
- croutons. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 128 calories, 10 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 36 mg cholesterol, 574 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.