Pumpkin Walnut Squares
My mother-in-law handed this pumpkin bar recipe down as a surefire way to keep my husband happy during the holidays. It's his favorite childhood dessert. —Melissa Conchieri, Northport, New York
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size), divided
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, divided
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Set aside 1/2 cup cake mix for filling. In a small bowl, combine the
- oil, 1 egg and remaining cake mix. Press into a greased 13x9-in.
- baking pan. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup walnuts.
- In a large bowl, combine the pumpkin, milk, vanilla, salt, cinnamon,
- reserved cake mix and remaining eggs. Pour over crust; sprinkle with
- remaining walnuts.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the
- center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares. Store
- leftovers in the refrigerator. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 piece equals 419 calories, 19 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 82 mg cholesterol, 446 mg sodium, 57 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 8 g protein.