With pecans so plentiful in Texas, these sweet crunchy nuts have become an expected tradition. Everyone in my family asks me to make them again and again for festive gatherings.
12 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon rum extract
- 3 cups pecan halves
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugars, water, honey and cinnamon.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat; do not stir. Cook over medium heat
- until a candy thermometer reads 240° (soft-ball stage). Remove
- from the heat; add extracts. Cool to lukewarm without stirring.
- Beat with a mixer for 2-3 minutes or until creamy. Stir in pecans
- until coated. Turn onto waxed paper (mixture will be sticky);
- separate large clumps. Cool for several hours or until dry and
- sugary. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 3 cups.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1/4 cup) equals 334 calories, 19 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 8 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein.