Prairie Fire Dip
"This flavorful dip for crunchy corn chips goes fast at get-togethers, so be sure to make enough," advises Jo Johnson of Baker, Montana. For a bit more zip, increase the amount of chili powder.
14 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 10 min.
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- 1/2 cup shredded provolone cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, optional
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 to 3 teaspoons chili powder
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- Large corn chips
- In a saucepan, combine the beans, cheese, butter if desired, onion,
- garlic, chili powder and hot pepper sauce. Cook over low heat until
- cheese is melted and dip is heated through. Serve with corn chips.
- Yield: 1-3/4 cups.
Nutrition Facts: One 2-tablespoon serving (prepared with fat-free refried beans and without butter; calculated without corn chips) equals 56 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 200 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Wine: Sweet Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.