This wonderfully rich potato casserole complements a variety of main courses. I've shared the recipe with so many people, I can almost recite it by heart!
8 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- Drain and mash.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolks, milk, salt, basil and pepper.
- Gradually stir into mashed potatoes. Fold in 1 cup cheese. In a
- small bowl, beat egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form;
- fold into potato mixture.
- Spoon into a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining
- cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a
- thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 225 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 103 mg cholesterol, 378 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 11 g protein.