These thin onion and potato pancakes make a tasty accompaniment to any meal. The key to their crispiness is draining all the liquid from the grated potatoes and onion before frying.
12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled
- 1 medium onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Coarsely grate potatoes and onion; drain any liquid. Place in a bowl;
- add green onions, egg, salt and pepper.
- In an electric skillet, heat 1/8 in. of oil to 375°. Drop batter
- by heaping tablespoonfuls into hot oil. Flatten to form patties. Fry
- until golden brown; turn and cook the other side. Drain on paper
- towels. Serve with applesauce. Yield: 2 dozen.