Potato Kale Sausage Soup
When autumn falls upon Fountain Valley, California, Susan Pursell simmers up this comforting soup. The hearty sausage slices, white kidney beans and colorful kale will keep your gang asking for seconds.
7 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bunch kale, trimmed and chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 pound reduced-fat fully cooked Polish sausage or turkey kielbasa, sliced
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, saute onion in oil until tender.
- Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the broth, potatoes, salt and
- pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15
- minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Using a potato masher, mash potatoes slightly. Add the kale, beans
- and sausage; cook over medium-low heat until kale is tender. Yield:
- 7 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 cup equals 194 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 823 mg sodium,