Potato Ham Chowder
“I find that homemade is always best…especially when it comes to soup,” assures Esther Danielson of Lake Arrowhead, California. This rich and hearty broth features chunks of potatoes, ham and lots of dill flavor.
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3/4 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup cubed peeled potatoes
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/3 cups 2% milk
- 1/4 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a small saucepan, saute the ham, onion and celery in butter for 5
- minutes or until ham is lightly browned and vegetables are tender.
- Add the broth and potatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and
- simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and milk until smooth; stir into
- chowder. Add dill and pepper. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly;
- cook for 1 minute or until thickened. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1-1/2 cups equals 319 calories, 14 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 55 mg cholesterol, 1,286 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 18 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 lean meat, 2 starch,