Potato Basil Scramble
This potato dish is so popular at our house, we argue over who gets the leftovers. I grow my own herbs, so I usually use fresh basil in this recipe, but dried works just as well. We love this for dinner with fruit salad and English muffins. It also makes a hearty breakfast for the weekend. —Terri Zobel, Raleigh, North Carolina
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups cubed potatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups egg substitute
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Place potatoes in a microwave-safe bowl; add 1 in. of water. Cover
- and microwave on high for 7 minutes; drain.
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute the
- onion, green pepper and potatoes in oil until tender. Add the egg
- substitute, basil, salt and pepper. Cook and stir over medium heat
- until eggs are completely set.
- Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (1 cup) equals 163 calories, 4 g fat (0.55 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 549 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 14 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch.