Portobello-Gouda Grilled Sandwiches
Take a simple grilled cheese sandwich to the next level with the earthy, rustic flavors of Portobello mushrooms and gouda cheese. —Sheryl Bergman, Shady Side, Maryland
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 cup sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon plus 4 teaspoons butter, divided
- 4 ounces smoked Gouda cheese, sliced
- 4 slices rye bread
- 1 plum tomato, sliced
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms in 1 tablespoon butter until
- tender. Place cheese on two bread slices; top with mushrooms, tomato
- and remaining bread. Spread outsides of sandwiches with remaining
- In a small skillet over medium heat, toast sandwiches for 2-3 minutes
- on each side or until cheese is melted. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 sandwich equals 498 calories, 31 g fat (19 g saturated fat), 100 mg cholesterol, 984 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 21 g protein.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.