Pork Chops and Sauerkraut
My mother made this dish years ago, when she was a young girl living in Germany. Later on, she continued to make it for our family. Today when I cook it, the wonderful aroma of sauerkraut fills the house, bringing back many warm memories for me. Mother usually served plain boiled potatoes with this dish, but for a special treat she'd serve steamed dumplings.
2-4 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 4 bone-in center-cut pork loin chops (3/4 inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 can (16 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1 red apple, chopped
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled, optional
- In a skillet, brown pork chops in oil; drain. Stir in the onion,
- pepper, broth, caraway seeds and celery seed. Cover and cook over
- medium heat for 45-50 minutes. Add sauerkraut and apple.
- Cover and simmer 10-15 minutes or until heated through. Before
- serving, sprinkle with bacon if desired. Yield: 2-4 servings.
Wine: Medium-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer