- cups flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed
- mixture alternately with buttermilk. Fold in poppy seeds.
- Beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form; fold into
- batter. Spread into prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 12-18
- minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out
- clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks
- to cool completely.
- For filling, in a small saucepan, combine sugar and remaining flour.
- Stir in sour cream until smooth. Bring to a boil. Stir a small
- amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to the pan,
- stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes
- longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in remaining vanilla. Transfer to
- a bowl; refrigerate until chilled.
- Place one cake layer on a serving platter; top with a third of the
- filling. Repeat layers twice.
- Combine the confectioners' sugar, cocoa and enough coffee to achieve
- a drizzling consistency. Drizzle over cake. Sprinkle with nuts.
- Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 16 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 slice equals 261 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 54 mg cholesterol, 288 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.