Poppy Seed Bread
Preparation time's kept to a minimum for Rosemarie Survillo's seeded treat. "It's a bread that you can make a day ahead of time, and then warm in the microwave moments prior to serving for just-baked appeal," she hints from her home in Lake St. Louis, Missouri.
32 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter flavor or vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, poppy seeds
- and salt. In another bowl, beat the eggs, milk, oil, almond extract
- and butter flavoring. Stir into dry ingredients just until
- Pour into two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for
- 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes
- out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire
- racks to cool completely. Yield: 2 loaves.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 175 calories, 8 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 21 mg cholesterol, 141 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.