- In a large bowl, combine 6 cups water and 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
- Carefully peel pears, leaving stems attached. Immediately plunge
- pears into lemon water. In a large saucepan, combine lemon peel, and
- the remaining sugar, water and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Add
- cinnamon stick, cloves and pears. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for
- 20-25 minutes or until pears are tender.
- Carefully remove pears to a plate. Discard cinnamon stick and cloves.
- Drizzle syrup over pears. Loosely cover and refrigerate for 2-3
- hours. To serve, place pears on dessert plates; drizzle with chilled
- vanilla sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 539 calories, 13 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 174 mg cholesterol, 33 mg sodium, 107 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.