Planked Spicy Strip Steaks
To infuse steaks with a sweet, smoky flavor, our home economists cook them on wood grilling planks. Simple seasonings are all you need.
4 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + soaking Grill: 20 min.
- 2 maple grilling planks
- 4 boneless beef top loin steaks (12 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Soak grilling planks in water for 1 hour. Drizzle steaks with oil.
- Combine the coriander, chili powder, allspice and cayenne; rub over
- both sides of steaks.
- Grill, covered, over medium heat for 1-2 minutes on each side or
- until grill marks appear; remove.
- Place planks on grill over direct medium heat. Cover and heat until
- planks create a light to medium smoke and begin to crackle (this
- indicates planks are ready), about 3 minutes. Turn planks over.
- Place steaks on planks.
- Grill, covered, for 15-20 minutes or until meat reaches desired
- doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°;
- medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Yield: 4 servings.
Wine: Full-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet