I'll always be thankful for the help my mother-in-law gave me when I first moved out to the farm. The "sure-to-please" recipes made a big adjustment easier. After all, dinnertime is often the only time a farm family can spend together...the meals had better turn out! Thanks to recipes like this one, my meals have been a "hit" much more often than a "miss."Ruth Tacoma, Falmouth, Michigan
9 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 can (8 ounces) pizza sauce
- 3 cups cornflakes
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large bowl, mix egg, pizza sauce, cornflakes, mushrooms, onion,
- salt and pepper. Add ground beef; mix well. Pat half of the meat
- mixture into a 9-in. square pan. Sprinkle half of the mozzarella
- cheese over top. Cover with the remaining meat. Bake at 350° for
- 50-60 minutes or until no pink remains. Drain. Sprinkle with
- remaining cheese. Let stand a few minutes until cheese melts. Cut
- into squares to serve.
- CHEDDAR LOAF: Substitute a can of tomato sauce for the pizza sauce
- and shredded cheddar cheese for mozzarella. Yield: 9 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 241 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 92 mg cholesterol, 693 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 24 g protein.