"This crunchy nut brittle is a favorite of my family," reports Cheryl Brungardt of Wheat Ridge Colorado. "It's a snap to prepare as a last-minute holiday gift. Be careful moving it in and out of the microwave, though, because the syrup gets very hot," she cautions.
12 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 cup shelled natural pistachios
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a 2-qt. microwave-safe bowl, combine sugar, corn syrup and salt.
- Microwave, uncovered, on high for 3 minutes. Stir. Microwave 2
- minutes longer. Stir in butter and pistachios. Microwave on high for
- 30-60 seconds or until mixture turns a light amber (it will be very
- hot). Quickly stir in baking soda and vanilla until light and foamy.
- Immediately pour onto a greased baking sheet and spread out.
- Refrigerate for 20 minutes or until firm; break into small pieces.
- Store in an airtight container. Yield: 3/4 pound.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 ounce) equals 137 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 171 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.