Here's a fun twist on traditional brittle. Pistachios not only add wonderful taste to the rich, buttery candy, but delicious texture. —Valonda Seward, Coarsegold, California
22 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min. + cooling
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cups pistachios, toasted
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Butter a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. pan, set aside. In a large saucepan,
- combine the sugar, water, corn syrup and salt. Cook over medium heat
- until a candy thermometer reads 240° (soft-ball stage).
- Carefully add butter and pistachios; cook and stir until mixture
- reaches 284° (soft-crack stage).
- Remove from the heat; stir in baking soda and vanilla. Immediately
- pour into prepared pan. Spread to 1/4-in. thickness. Cool before
- breaking into pieces. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about
- 1-1/2 pounds.
Nutrition Facts: 1 ounce equals 161 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 215 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.