Picnic Beans with Dip
Here's a fun way to enjoy fresh-picked beans...with a creamy well-seasoned dip. I first enjoyed it at a friend's house and have made it for several years. Try the dip with other vegetables, too, such as broccoli, celery and carrots.
-Martha Bergman, Cleveland Heights, Ohio
13 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 1 pound fresh green or wax beans
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 6 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon dried savory
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- Place beans in a large saucepan and cover with water; bring to a
- boil. Cook, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain
- and rinse with cold water. Chill until serving.
- In a blender, combine the remaining ingredients. Cover and process
- until smooth. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Serve with
- beans for dipping. Yield: 1-2/3 cups dip.
Nutrition Facts: 2 tablespoons of dip (prepared with fat-free mayonnaise and fat-free half-and-half) equals 85 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 293 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber,