Pickled Green Beans
This recipe produces zippy little pickles and preserves my green beans for months to come…if they last that long. I crank up the heat a bit with cayenne pepper. —Marisa McClellan, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
28 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Process: 10 min.
- 1-3/4 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 4 teaspoons dill seed or 4 fresh dill heads
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2-1/2 cups white vinegar
- 1/4 cup canning salt
- Pack beans into four hot 1-pint jars to within 1/2 in. of the top.
- Add the cayenne, garlic and dill seed to jars.
- In a large saucepan, bring the water, vinegar and salt to a boil.
- Carefully ladle hot mixture over beans, leaving 1/2-in. headspace.
- Remove air bubbles; wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 10
- minutes in a boiling-water canner. Yield: 4 pints.
Nutrition Facts: 8 green beans equals 9 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 83 mg sodium, 2 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: Free food.