"THE BEETS Mother served with this meal came from our garden and were canned for the winter months. Even as a child I loved beets because they brought so much color to our table. Their tangy flavor is a great complement to the rest of the foods in this meal.
6-8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 8 medium fresh beets
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons whole cloves
- 1-1/2 teaspoons whole allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Remove and discard greens and all but 1/2 in. of the stems from
- beets. Cook beets in boiling water until tender; drain and cool.
- Peel and slice; place in a bowl and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine vinegar, sugar, cloves, allspice and
- salt. Bring to a boil; boil for 5 minutes. Pour over beets.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour. Drain before serving. Yield: 6-8
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 71 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 186 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.