These tangy spears make a great addition to a relish tray. Field editor Marie Hattrup of Sparks, Nevada, shares her easy recipe.
128 ServingsPrep: 45 min. Process: 20 min.
- 9 quarts water, divided
- 16 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 2 quarts white vinegar
- 1 cup canning salt
- 1 tablespoon mixed pickling spices
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- In a stockpot, bring 6 qts. of water to a boil. Cook asparagus in
- batches, uncovered, for 2-1/2 minutes. Remove and rinse in cold
- In a Dutch oven, combine the vinegar, salt, pickling spices, garlic
- and remaining water; bring to a boil. Pack asparagus in quart jars
- to within 1/2 in. of top.
- Carefully ladle hot mixture into hot quart jars, leaving 1/2-in.
- headspace. Remove air bubbles, wipe rims and adjust lids. Process
- for 20 minutes in a boiling-water canner. Yield: 8 quarts.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1/4 cup) equals 7 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 888 mg sodium, 1 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.