Pesto-Turkey Layered Loaf
“This yummy sandwich is easy and travels well. Make several to feed a crowd, and use any meat, veggies and cheese you like.” Marion Sundberg - Yorba Linda, California
6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 25 min. + standing
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread
- 1 cup prepared pesto
- 1 pound thinly sliced deli turkey
- 1/2 pound provolone cheese, thinly sliced
- 2 small zucchini, thinly sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cut the top fourth off loaf of bread.
- Carefully hollow out the bottom, leaving a 1/2-in. shell. (Discard
- removed bread or save for another use.) Spread pesto on the inside
- of top and bottom of bread. Set top aside.
- In bottom of bread, layer with turkey, cheese, zucchini, tomatoes and
- onion. Gently press the layers together. Replace bread top and wrap
- tightly in foil.
- Place on a baking sheet. Bake 25-30 minutes or until heated through.
- Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving equals 661 calories, 33 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 73 mg cholesterol, 2,065 mg sodium, 54 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 39 g protein.