- In a blender, combine the buttermilk, squash and persimmon pulp;
- cover and process until smooth.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugars, flour, cinnamon, baking powder,
- baking soda and salt.
- In a small bowl, combine the eggs, cream, butter, vanilla and squash
- mixture; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Pour into pastry shell. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a knife
- inserted near the center comes out clean.
- In a small saucepan, combine caramels and milk. Cook and stir over
- medium heat until melted and smooth. Pour over hot pie. Sprinkle
- with pecans and toffee bits. Cool completely on a wire rack. Store
- in the refrigerator. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 piece equals 578 calories, 27 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 90 mg cholesterol, 465 mg sodium, 82 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.