Guests will never guess that lemon-lime soda and pancake mix are the secret ingredients behind these tasty perch fillets in a golden coating. "If perch isn't available, try substituting haddock," suggests Connie Tibbetts from her kitchen in Wilton, Maine.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 cups lemon-lime soda
- 1 pound perch fillets
- 2 cups pancake mix
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Oil for frying
- Pour soda into a shallow bowl; add fish fillets and let stand for 15
- minutes. In another shallow bowl, combine pancake mix and pepper.
- Remove fish from soda and coat with pancake mix.
- In a large skillet, heat 1/4 in. of oil over medium-high heat. Fry
- fish for 2-3 minutes on each side or until fish flakes with a fork.
- Drain on paper towels. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 each equals 438 calories, 13 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 102 mg cholesterol, 814 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 28 g protein.
Wine: Light-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.