Peppery Black Bean Salsa
I love foods that surprise the senses with a tempting mix of textures and colorslike this one. Use this as a topping for grilling meat or serve it as a relish on the side.Gary Maly, West Chester, Ohio
12 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 4 jalapeno peppers
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 1 medium sweet red or orange pepper, diced
- 1 cup chopped seeded tomato
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Place jalapenos on a broiler pan; broil 4 in. from the heat until
- skins blister, about 2 minutes. With tongs, rotate jalapenos a
- quarter turn. Broil and rotate until all sides are blistered and
- blackened. Immediately place peppers in a bowl; cover and let stand
- for 15-20 minutes. Peel off and discard charred skin. Remove stems
- and seeds. Finely chop peppers.
- In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Add jalapenos.
- Cover and refrigerate for several hours. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One 1/2-cup serving (prepared with frozen corn) equals 90 calories, 1 g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 222 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 vegetable.