Peppered Squash Relish
I cook for a local middle school and have been making this relish more than 25 years. Whenever I take it to a dinner or picnic, it is sure to go fast, and I get lots of requests for the recipe. Sometimes I put it into gift baskets with other homemade goodies.
Salem, West Virginia
32 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling Cook: 20 min. + cooling
- 3 pounds yellow summer squash, finely chopped
- 3 pounds zucchini, finely chopped
- 6 large onions, finely chopped
- 3 medium green peppers, finely chopped
- 3 medium sweet red peppers, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 4 teaspoons celery seed
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Cover and
- refrigerate overnight.
- Drain vegetable mixture. Rinse in cold water and drain again. Place
- vegetables in a Dutch oven. Add the sugars, vinegar, celery seed,
- turmeric and mustard. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer,
- uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until liquid is clear.
- Remove from the heat; cool. Spoon into containers. Cover and
- refrigerate for up to 3 weeks. Yield: 4 quarts.