Peeps Sunflower Cake
The inspiration for this cake came from one of my favorite flowers, the sunflower. The yellow peeps make eye-catching flower petals, and I carefully placed chocolate chips in a circular pattern to resemble the seeds in the middle of a sunflower. This cake is easy, but looks quite impressive. —Bethany Eledge, Cleveland, Tennessee
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) chocolate frosting
- 19 to 20 yellow chick Peeps candies
- 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- Prepare and bake cake mix according to package directions, using two
- parchment paper-lined and greased 9-in. round baking pans. Cool in
- pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool
- If cake layers have rounded tops, trim with a long serrated knife to
- make level. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of
- For petals, arrange Peeps around edge of cake, curving slightly and
- being careful not to separate chicks. For sunflower seeds, arrange
- chocolate chips in center of cake. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 slice equals 702 calories, 33 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 53 mg cholesterol, 502 mg sodium, 97 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.