I've tried for years to duplicate a delicious waffle I ate at a restaurant chain here in the South. This is the closest I've come, and they're crisp and nutty. Butter and maple syrup are my family's favorite toppings. Why not serve them for your holiday brunch?
-Susan Jansen, Smyrna, Georgia
8-10 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1-3/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Maple syrup
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Combine egg yolks,
- milk and oil; stir into dry ingredients. Beat egg whites until
- stiff; fold into batter.
- Sprinkle hot waffle iron with 2 tablespoons pecans. Pour 1/4 to 1/3
- cup of batter over pecans and bake according to manufacturer's
- directions until golden brown. Repeat with remaining pecans and
- batter. Serve with syrup. Yield: 8-10 waffles (4-1/2 inches).
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 299 calories, 22 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 48 mg cholesterol, 272 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.